My go-to jacket on pretty much all my trips unless I’m headed to the tropics. Why the love affair with the Beta AR? Easy… My Beta AR Jacket is yellow… And Awesome! Okay, okay, it has a few more virtues than the awesomeness of the yellow. Here’s my favourites.
- The GORE-TEX® Pro hardshell is totally water resistant and windproof.
- The hood adjustment is amazingly versatile.
- It makes the ideal outer layer in a multi layered approach to keeping warm.
- The pockets are perfectly positioned for when I’m wearing my camera back pack.
- The construction and material on the Beta are top quality and strong.
- You can adjust the zippers with one hand with the adjustable drawcords.
- Water resistant zippers.
- Pit zippers for adjusting body temperature and easy venting.
Keep in mind that this is a lighter jacket and not a solution to cold winter days and nights on its own. However, it is my choice of exterior shell for cold winter days with one or two other layers like the Atom LT and Caliber cardigan. I’d much rather have several layers when I travel instead of one big bulky coat. This way I’m able to have several options in how warmly or lightly I can dress for each condition I’m faced with. That is one of the keys for me when I travel. Dress and pack smart in layers and you’ll reduce the weight of your luggage and be far more versatile in how you can dress.
At first when I got my Arc’Teryx gear I was not convinced that a few lightweight layers would keep me so warm. I’m a total believer in the layered system now and unless going to the Arctic or Antarctic I just don’t see the reason for packing a heavy coat or jacket. I used this jacket in combination with the other layers in Canada, US, Jordan, and Iceland and it never let me down.
The beta is a beautiful example of simplicity being a great solution to one’s needs. There are few bells and whistles but where there are features, they are practical and efficient. I’ve given away several of my other jackets to local shelters after getting this one since I found myself always reaching for the Beta when I step out the door and it conveniently rolls into a small bundle making the Beta AR Jacket a perfect item to pack in my suitcase or backpack. Plus hey… Yellow ;)
Read more about the Arc’teryx Beta AR Mens Shell Ski Jacket on Amazon.
Leave a Reply