Sittin’ On The Dock of the Bay | Sunset near Saint Augustine, Florida

After a year of blogging and sharing photos from some of my travels, I find it hard to believe that this is the first sunset photo I’m posting on my blog. While sometimes I think that sunset photos can be cliché, I still am a sucker for a nice sunset. This photo was taken in one of those places that I’ll see while driving, and not be able to stop because there is nowhere to park. It can be really frustrating to know I’m missing out on a potentially cool photograph, simply because of the fact that I’m on a highway with nowhere to stop. Lucky for me  I was staying with my friends Rob and Mylene in Saint Augustine over the holidays. So, when I saw this dock while driving around, I took note of where it was and convinced Rob to drop me off exactly where I needed to be to get this shot just before sunset. I spent a half hour walking around, looking for the ideal places to shoot from, and in the end this was the very last shot that I took that day. Since I usually travel alone, I’m often unable to get certain shots that I would be able to get with the help of an assistant or friend. Rob picked me up just after the sun dipped below the horizon and, needless to say, I’m grateful for the help. Good friends, just like good photo opportunities, are hard to find.

This was my first trip back to Florida since I lived there back in 1995-1996. It was a nice reminder of just how amazing it was to live near the beach, and my big dream remains to one day live close to the sea. Mt apartment was three blocks away from the ocean in South Beach,  just at the time when so many of the old Art Deco hotels were being refurbished and renovated back to their original splendor. I’d love to get back to Miami Beach one day soon and revisit some of my old hangouts, and see how much things have changed. I was just starting out in photography back then, and South Beach was a fun place to be for anyone who was young and in the fashion photography scene. It would be fun to walk down memory lane and try to capture some of the feeling that is so typically South Beach in a new series of photos. Ahhh, so many places to visit, so little time!

Enjoy more travel photos and stories:

Comments (21)

1. art lover says

I am referring to your Brooklyn Bridge photo plus your Dock of the Bay photo plus countless others ——–how on earth do you get the angles that you present on your blog??? Amazing photography. Amazing colors. Amazing feelings evoked by your pictures.

2. says

Just logged on to your site for the first time. I’m jealous. As a longtime newspaper photographer, I don’t travel nearly as much as I would like. Mostly local photos. So, I’ll watch your blog and enjoy the great work.

3. says

Siddhartha, thanks! I appreciate the nice comment, and yes… Friends make things much easier in life.
    Art, It’s mostly levitation, jet packs, pogo sticks and helicopter hats. It’s not easy being a photographer!
    J.B. Welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed your first visit here. Come back again soon :)
    Thanks so much everyone for the awesome comments. It always puts a smile on my face, to know that people are enjoying the photographs here.

4. says

wow. from 2007 – 2009 i lived 7 blocks away from the ocean in south beach. i miss it soooo much (especially since in in the tundra of minnesota!!). i really appreciate your beautiful pictures and writing about the experiences with it. when i was younger i travelled to 20 countries. love the travelling and thank you for your beautiful eye. i, too, hope to get back to the beach. and, of course, it will be different at that time, too. one thing that was amazing is you saw all kinds of people wearing/doing all sorts of things. amazing life.

5. says

This image is so beautiful! You would have thought that FL is best for sunrises. Happy to see that this one is a sunset photo. :)

6. says

What a gorgeous image to wake up to! And even a better surprise to be taken at one of my favorite places in Florida.

Having been raised near St. Augustine it holds a very special place in my heart. I left Ft Lauderdale in 2002 and hope to wake up near the ocean one day soon as well.

Beautiful work!! I look forward to following along on your journey.